Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sophmore Class Trip 2010

THANKS to everyone (Pat, Sejour, G, and Rich) who made this trip possible. Due to your hard work and commitment the sophomore trip was a success. I am very appreciative of the opportunity I was given to attend this trip. Having the chance to learn more about American history and connect with my Bonner classmates was great. I believe the sophomore class trip to Richmond, VA was a very informative and rewarding experience.

Our first experience started when we participated on a slave trail tour. The tour guide, Ralph, was very sincere and enthusiastic because of his interest in the history I was able to remain engaged throughout the tour. Learning about the slave trade in Virginia and how it was rooted and grounded in Richmond was emotional. To be on the actual sites that salves were forced to work under captivity left me astonished. Throughout the time we spent at this site Ralph encouraged us to do certain activities so we could experience a small inkling of what the slaves went through. During most of these activities I felt powerless to both society and to myself. Shortly after this Ralph described the way slaves were treated in jail. He was brutally honest with us and emphasized the pain and the suffering the slave endured during that time. When talking about the jailed slaves he explained how they were beaten, whipped, and tormented until they experienced blistering pain.

On Sunday, we meet with three Bonners Scholars from the Richmond University. They generously welcomed from the start. We started the day by having breakfast together. During breakfast they were eager to know us and our Bonner program. We spent time learn more about them and their school as well. After eating they then took use to their The Bonner sites and explained what they do. They seemed really engaged in their sites and most importantly they are making an impact in their community.
Our last activity was the Civil War Museum. During this tour we were able to observe some impressive displays and learn what they meant to the city of Richmond. Our tour guide Dan was very knowledgeable and energetic. I believe one of our Bonner took something from the tour. There was an incredible museum exhibit that allowed us to read historical facts and observe touching images.

As a result of this trip I have learned some very important facts about history and has created a closer bond with my Bonner graduating Class. I truly believe because of this trip the sophomores who attended have created a bond that can not be taking away. I was thankful that I was given this opportunity to attend this trip and I Look forward to Next year’s Junior Trip.
-ALBERT

No comments:

Post a Comment