Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My experience in VA

There is nothing like stepping in the shoes of your ancestors and going where they have been, seeing some of what they saw, and feeling what they felt. My sophomore trip to Richmond, VA brought this experience to life when we visited a historic slave trade site. Instead of listening to someone speak the terrible experiences the slaves underwent when being captivated by the Caucasian Americans, we lived it. We were told to place ourselves in bondage and follow the orders of the leader by linking up hand in hand in a line with the follow tourists. Our right to speak was taken away from us and we could not break the bonds, for they represented chains that wereused to keep the slaves in confinement. We moved from the boating dock area where the slaves where millions of slaves were dropped off to the inland area where plantations were placed. This walk was somewhat difficult for some of us because we couldn't scratch ourselves, pick up what had been dropped from our pockets, and for some, simply keep up with the group. My contemplation during this nearly led me to tears with the frustrating thought that my great grandparents had done this very thing, and walked in this way on this very ground, and under much harsher circumstances. The hatred that was directed towards my ancestors and towards me till this very day is very disturbing and is not understandable to me.

Afterwards, we visited a place where slaves were sold and a slave jail. Once again, distraught feelings were provoked as I imagined my ancestors going into those locations and being put under those situations. It was very saddening to see. I couldn't bear to see what I had known to be true visually come to life, even though it wasn't in its entirety.

The next day, we visited the Civil War museum. It was a great learning experience and I loved the beautiful sites we got to see. Although I know that the Civil War was not fought for the freedom of slaves, I do very much appreciate the outcome of it, and the fact that Lincoln used freeing slaves as a tactic to win the war. If this had not occurred, I may very well be not alive to see this beautiful day, or I may very well be in chains.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to reconnect with my acestors past and history.

-Victoria Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment